By: Dyan Eybergen BA,RN,ACPI
If trying to maintain balance in your life makes you feel like a tightrope walker, you’re not alone. Most of us have so many demands on our time and energy; life can feel like a three-ring circus. Add the festive season with all of its preparations into the mix and your life can feel like a three-ring circus where the animals have all gone berserk and crashed down the top tent!
Here are some essential reminders for how to keep balance during this holiday season.
1. The only way to successfully manage your life is to take care of yourself physically and emotionally. Set aside personal quiet time—simply let your thoughts drift. Take essential mini-vacations (enjoy a cup of your favorite beverage listening to soothing music, meditate, take a hot bubble bath).
2. Nurturing yourself enlarges your capacity to help others. We need to care for ourselves with the same commitment we show when we care for others
3. Eat healthfully and exercise regularly.
4. Do not neglect your immune system: hydrate and take preventative precautions against the cold and flu.
5. Experience the gifts of the season: ice skating, sledding, skiing, bundled-up walks; hiking, more time outside; gathering wood, spending more time by the fireplace.
6. Creativity nurtures the soul too. Do what you love, whether that’s cooking, drawing, painting, writing, dancing, singing or another creative pursuit.
9. When we reach out to others we enrich lives – yours and the people you reach out to. This is the perfect season to spend quality time with family and friends. Make it about being together and focus less on the preparations of food, cleaning and decorating.
10. Contributing to the world provides connection and purpose, give your time, energy and experience where it is most useful.
11. Take notice and heed the emotional signals that tell you when you are out of balance: irritability, overwhelm, resentment. Listen to and honor the requests your body makes for such things as a nap, a walk, green vegetables, hot soup. When you feel out of balance go back up this list and do numbers 1 through 4!
12. Say NO to added requests for your time. Pace yourself and make the most out of what is important to you this Season.